Despite numerous opportunities and going for it right until the final whistle the Eagles suffered a tight 1-0 defeat against VfL Wolfsburg (Didavi, 22').

Haller hit the cross-bar
Haller hit the cross-bar

Niko Kovac made one change to his starting line-up compared to last week's 0-0 draw against Freiburg: Kevin-Prince Boateng replaced Daichi Kamada, it was Prince's hundredth Bundesliga appearance.

Even start

Eintracht came forward right away and had a first half chance when a Gacinovic cross was flicked on to Boateng who was a tad too late inside the six-yard box (1'). At the other end Wolfsburg's Arnold forced SGE goalie Hradecky to a fine save with a direct free-kick (10'). It was a tense match from the start and plenty of work for the Eagles as Wolfsburg seemed highly motivated to make up for their 3-0 home defeat against Dortmund in round one.

The Eagles then had a couple of great scoring opportunities; first a Gacinovic header from an Abraham cross nearly found the back of the net but Wolves keeper Casteels was at hand (20') and a minute later Haller's header hit the post following a de Guzman corner cross. Against the run of play Wolfsburg took the lead from the following counter attack, Didavi converted from close range - 1-0 to VfL (22').

Lively game

The Eagles kept pushing though and they kept attacking while Wolfsburg was looking to come forward on the break. Boateng was brought down inside the box and the referee was about to award a penalty, the video assistant stepped in and claimed an offside position beforehand - the match continued (28').

Around half an hour into the match the Eagles were in control and dominated. They had further good chances; a powerful Gacinovic shot was cleared by Casteels (40') as was Willems' attempt from close range. Then de Guzman had a go from the edge of the box and missed the target by inches (44'). Gacinovic let go a half cross half shot which touched the crossbar also but Wolfsburg's tight lead stood at the break.

Hard work

The match re-started with unchanged teams at either end, Wolfsburg brought on Bazoer for Dimata shortly into the second half (53'). The first good chance fell to Haller who was about to go for it inside the box but blocked in the very last moment (55'). Eintracht kept showing good spirit, Timmy Chandler came charging with a good run into the box, his cross was caught by Casteels though (62').

It was hard work for the Eagles though as Wolfsburg stood deep - always remaining a threat on the break - and the clock was ticking down. Niko Kovac brought on Danny da Costa for Jonathan de Guzman (72') and da Costa straight away had a good run down the right, his cross nearly found Hrgota in the middle - nearly. While Eintracht kept dominating the match they did not create that many clear-cut chances anymore, but they kept going for the equalizer.

Kovac brought on Tawatha for Willems as a last substitution (78'). Wolfsburg had a good chance then on the break when Gomez found Malli but the Eintracht defense did well to clear the ball (81'), it was the only opportunity for the Wolves in the seond half. Four minutes were added to the 90 and SGE kept pushing, Tawatha had another go but his shot went over the bar. After all the tight defeat became reality; next up will be the match away against Borussia Mönchengladbach in two week's time.


Matchday 2: Eintracht Frankfurt - VfL Wolfsburg

Open gallery by click on image