Eintracht win the Frankfurt Main Finance Cup after a 3-2 victory over F.C. Tokyo. Seferovic (41’), Stendera (45’), and Aigner (59’) scored for SGE. A wonderful ending to a perfect Season Opening!

On a beautiful sunny Sunday Eintracht Frankfurt celebrated their official Season Opening – the Frankfurt Main Finance Cup. 50,000 fans came to the Commerzbank Arena which opened five hours before kick-off. Eintracht Frankfurt and many sponsors organized several events and games before the match in front of the stadium. At noon, the official team presentation marked the first highlight of the day. During the presentation Carlos Zambrano announced that he will stay with Eintracht Frankfurt. Zambrano extended his contract with the Eagles for another four years!

For manager Armin Veh the match v F.C. Tokyo was the first time back on the home team’s bench at Commerzbank Arena. Eintracht’s starting line-up featured three newcomers: Heinz Lindner guarded SGE’s goal replacing last year’s skipper Kevin Trapp who joined Paris Saint Germain. In the defence David Abraham, who came from TSG Hoffenheim, started next to Marco Russ. Eintracht’s first new signing, Stefan Reinartz, took the place in the defensive midfield. 


The Eagles dominated the first minutes of the game. Makoto Hasebe, who was repositioned to the right defensive side, interacted well with Stefan Aigner. Both players initiated several nice attempts and brought in dangerous crosses. After 15 minutes both teams had good attempts to score. On Eintracht’s side Takashi Inui tested Tatsuya Enomoto from the distance, but was denied by Tokyo’s goalkeeper. The guests came from the left side with a dangerous cross which was intercepted by David Abraham.

Then, 20 minutes into the game Tokyo took the lead. After a corner from the left side, Lindner could not manage to hold on to the ball and the rebound was volleyed in by Ryiochi Maeda. Seconds after the first goal the guests from Japan extended their lead: Following a misplaced pass a few meters away from Lindner’s goal, Nathan Burns had no trouble netting in the ball in from inside the box (22’). It took Eintracht ten minutes to come back from the double blow until Haris Seferovic tested Enomoto from outside the penalty area. His shot was not strong enough though and did not cause any great danger (32’).

Luckily, the Eagles came back before the break. After a nice combination Hasebe brought in a cross from the right side which was connected nicely by Haris Seferovic (41’). The first goal for SGE meant a great relief. Eintracht regained confidence now. Marc Stendera almost levelled the tie for the hosts with a direct free kick but only hit the crossbar. A few minutes later Stendera had more luck. Following a back-heeled pass by Johannes Flum, Stendera hammered the ball into the top right corner of the net!


The Eagles dominated the beginning of the second half and had several chances to score right after the break. Following a cross by Hasebe from the right, Eintracht newcomer David Abraham had a good chance, but his header was cleared by Enomoto. Following several good attempts the Eagles finally took the lead in the 59th minute. From the left side of the field, Bastian Oczipka brought in a smooth cross. Stefan Aigner headed the ball over Enomoto into the net!

Following several substitutions the game slowed down a bit. Tokyo got better now which meant that SGE’s new goalie Heinz Lindner had the chance to show off his skills. In the 75th minute he was on the spot in a one-on-one and blocked the ball with a great last minute safe. Then Eintracht was left with no luck, when Luca Waldschmidt only hit the post with a shot from the left and Seferovic failed to control a cross by Aleksandar Ignjovski. With two strikers on the field the Eagles had many more chances to extend their lead. Two minutes before the final whistle it was again Seferovic whose nice shot went a couple inches wide.

The 3-2 victory over Tokyo was a perfect ending to a wonderful Season Opening party! After the Frankfurt Main Finance Cup the Eagles are looking forward to next week's first round in the DFB Cup against Bremer SV (Sat, 08 Aug 2015, 15h30 CET)