Despite taking an early lead through Goncalo Paciencia, Eintracht Frankfurt slipped to a 3-1 defeat at home to FC Augsburg on Sunday.

It all started so well for Adi Hütter’s men, who went ahead after just 14 minutes. However, Augsburg turned the game on its head, equalising in the 31st minute before taking the lead deep into first-half stoppage time. Eintracht then played almost the entire second half with 10 men after Gelson Fernandes was sent off and despite their best efforts, they couldn’t find an equaliser, with Michael Gregoritsch sealing the result late on (84’).

Personnel: Slight rotation

Hütter made two changes to the side that started at Lisbon in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday, with Almamy Toure and Paciencia coming back into the starting line-up at the expense of defenders Evan Ndicka and David Abraham.

First half: Eagles fail to build on good start

Eintracht made a promising start at the Commerzbank-Arena and Luka Jovic had two good chances early on, heading over from Danny Da Costa’s cross and then volleying straight at Augsburg goalkeeper Gregor Kobel. They eventually took the lead in the 14th minute, when Paciencia met Filip Kostic’s inch-perfect cross with an equally perfect header. Paciencia then had a good chance to grab a second but couldn’t sort his feet out to connect cleanly with Ante Rebic’s cross. The Eagles were made to pay for that missed chance as Augsburg went up the other end and equalised through Marco Richter. A stop-start period of play followed, resulting in four minutes of stoppage time at the end of the first half – and it was in the fourth minute that the visitors took the lead. Richter was again the goalscorer, finding space on the edge of the area and firing into the bottom corner.

Second half: End-to-end and feisty

The Eagles’ task was made even more difficult at the start of the second half as captain Fernandes was shown his second yellow card for a late challenge. With a numerical advantage, the visitors began to dictate proceedings more and wasted a number of chances to extend their lead. However, Eintracht were a constant threat on the counter - particularly with the tireless Kostic down the left side - and both Jovic and Rebic had goal-bound shots blocked in the penalty area. Hütter’s men pushed forward in the closing stages but just as they were looking more likely to score an equaliser, Augsburg wrapped up the three points in the 84th minute through Gregoritsch.

Summary: Off day for Eintracht

The Eagles certainly couldn’t be faulted for their effort, but the second Augsburg goal on the stroke of half-time and then Fernandes’ sending off shortly after the restart gave them an uphill task. Credit must also go to their opponents, who ended Eintracht’s run of six consecutive wins in the Bundesliga with an effective performance.

SGE line-up:

Trapp – Toure, Hasebe, Hinteregger (Ndicka 26’) – Da Costa, Rode (de Guzman 66’), Fernandes, Kostic – Rebic – Jovic, Paciencia (Gacinovic 54’)


1-0 Paciencia (14’)
1-1 Richter (31’)
1-2 Richter (45+4’)
1-3 Gregoritsch (84’)