Eintracht come back after a baffling first half, which the Eagles dominated but ended in Werder’s 2-0 lead. In the second half Mijat Gacinovic (48’) and Marco Fabián with a penalty (73’) levelled the score for the host.

Omar Mascarell
Omar Mascarell

While the Eagles and Werder were ranked in 8th and 11th position at the beginning of matchday 28, their journey throughout the season has been quite a contrary one. The Eagles played great throughout the season’s first half, but have been without a win in the last eight Bundesliga matches. Werder on the other side have been on a run picking up 19 out of 21 points in the last seven games. After the unlucky defeat against 1. FC Köln Niko Kovac made some changes in the starting formation. Timothy Chandler was back after his match ban and replaced Marius Wolf as right defender. Jesús Vallejo was out with calf problems and was replaced by Andersson Ordoñez, who had his debut in the starting eleven. Marco Russ and Branimir Hrgota played instead of Taleb Tawatha and Haris Seferovic.

Eintracht with Great Chances, but Werder Score Twice 

The 51,000 fans at the Commerzbank Arena hat to wait ten minutes for the first match highlights. Almost out of nowhere, the Eagles had two great chances to score in a row. First David Abraham had a go with a distance shot and hammered the ball against the crossbar (11’). Seconds later Ante Rebic entered the box and passed to Hrogta, who missed the ball by inches. Later on Marco Russ’ header went over after a corner from the left. As the first half went on, Eintracht started to gain control of the game. The newly set up defense with Abraham, Ordoñez, and Russ stood firm and the offense initiated several good plays via Marco Fabián. 

Half an hour into the match SGE had another double chance, but former Eagle Felix Wiedwald blocked Gacniovic’s shot from inside the box as well as Branimir Hrgota’s rebound. After the 20-minute powerplay by the Eagles, the game slowed down a little. Werder used this period to take the lead with their first shot on goal. In the 37th minute Zlatko Junuzovic connected a pass from the left and put the ball under the crossbar into the net.

The Hanseatics were known for their efficiency, but after four great chances on Eintracht’s side the setback came at the worst moment imagineable. And it got worse before the first half was over. In the 43rd minute Finn Bartels extended the lead for Bremen. Marco Fabián tried to get one back right away, but was again denied by Wiedwald.

Amazing Comeback in the Second Half

At the beginning of the second half Niko Kovac substituted Danny Blum in for Marco Russ in order to support the Eagles offense. Finally the Eagles rewarded themselves in the 48th minute. After a corner from the left it was David Abraham who headed the ball on goal, which was was put in by Mijat Gacinovic. The Eagles were back in the game now and kept pushing for the second goal.

As the time was running out, the Eagles had to risk more and pushed Werder into their own half. Unfortunately Niko Kovac was forced to make another substitution after Ordoñez sustained an injury and had to be replaced by Marius Wolf. In the 73rd minute the Eagles had the next great chance to level the tie after Hrgota was held in the penalty area. Marco Fabián took over the responsibility and converted from the spot.

Seconds after the 2-2 equalizer Werder almost restored their lead with a dangerous shot on goal, but Lukas Hradecky had his fingertips on the ball and kept the Eagles in the game. On Werder’s side Felix Wiedwald was responsible that the Hanseatics did not go home empty-handed. In the 83rd minute Wiedwald had his hands once more on the ball after a shot from Fabián. The point at home is more than deserved. Eintracht came back after the two heavy blows in the first half with an amazing spirit and showed great sportsmanship in the end. Good job, lads!