Boateng joins Italian Serie A side US Sassuolo
Eintracht Frankfurt board member Fredi Bobic has granted Kevin-Prince Boateng's request to have his contract terminated, with the midfielder leaving the Eagles to join Italian Serie A side US Sassuolo with immediate effect.
"When we signed Prince I made an agreement with him that we would not stand in his way if he wanted to move on at a later date," said Bobic. "He wants to move now because he wants to play closer to his future primary residence, so obviously I have kept my word." In the forthcoming season the 31-year-old will lace his boots for Italian top-flight club US Sassuolo.
"A leader on and off the pitch"
Boateng joined Eintracht from UD Las Palmas last summer and lifted the fourth trophy of his career when he helped the Eagles to DFB Cup glory in May, having previously won the Italian league title and Supercup with AC Milan, as well as the English League Cup with Tottenham Hotspur.
"Winning the cup brought things full circle for me in Germany and I'm leaving Eintracht with a positive feeling," said Boateng. "It was an outstanding season for me and I'll never forget my time in Frankfurt. My thanks go to my team-mates, the coaches, the background staff and the management team, especially Fredi Bobic, and obviously I also want to thank the fans for their wonderful support."
Boateng registered six goals and two assists across 31 Bundesliga outings and five DFB Cup appearances for Eintracht. "We have much to thank Prince for," said Bobic. "He was an excellent leader, both on and off the pitch, and we wish him and his family all the best for the future. He's leaving Eintracht and the Bundesliga as a winner. The league is losing a real figurehead and one of its brightest characters."
.@KPBofficial has joined @SassuoloUS after Eintracht granted the midfielder's request to move closer to his future primary residence. Thanks for everything and all the best for the future, Prince! #SGE pic.twitter.com/t1lytNjP55— Eintracht Frankfurt (@eintracht_eng) July 5, 2018