Very bitter! Eintracht were up 2-0 against Mainz until the one-hour mark, but the hosts turned the game around in a little more than 15 minutes. On matchday 33 Mainz beat Eintracht 4-2.

Jhon Cordoba scored the first goal for the hosts.
Jhon Cordoba scored the first goal for the hosts.

Eintracht manager Niko Kovac was once more forced to improvise for the final away game of the season. Against Eintracht’s neighbors from the Rhine, the Eagles started with two strikers up front. Next to Branimir Hrgota, Haris Seferovic got a spot in the starting formation. David Abraham was able to support the defense after his suspension and played next to Michael Hector. Eintracht youngster Aymen Barkok, who played his best match for SGE at home against Mainz on matchday 16 got a place in the starting formation as well. 

Active Hosts against Efficient Eagles

FSV were in need to keep all the points in Mainz. Hence, the hosts were more active, while Eintracht waited for their chance to sting. Despite their optical advantage, SGE had the first chance of the match. Haris Seferovic started in the perfect moment after a deep pass, but could not get the ball past Mainz’ goalie Huth (11’). Ten minutes later Cordoba had a go, but Lukas Hradecky blocked the shot with his left foot. 

The Eagles do not have the best memories from their short trips to Mainz. Eintracht have never won away to FSV in the top flight and lost their last three away games in Mainz. Half an hour into the match it was not clear which way the pendulum would swing. In the 35th minute Donati had a go from outside the box, but Hradecky deflected the difficult ball to the side. 

Three minutes before the end of a first half, which was not the most eventful, the Eagles took the lead. A beautiful lob by Aymen Barkok set up Brainimir Hrogta in the box, who netted in from close range. Hrgota finally rewarded himself for his efforts after being out of luck so many times in the past Bundesliga games. 

Three Goals Within 15 Minutes

The second half started the same way the first one did. Two minutes after the kick-off Haris Seferovic extended the lead for the Eagles. After a cross from the left, Branimir Hrgota headed the ball on goal, but was denied by Huth. Mainz’ goalie tried to clear the ball, but was blocked by Seferovic, who netted in from one meter distance.  

The 2-0 should have given the Eagles the needed confidence to take home three points. But around the one-hour mark Mainz got a push and managed to level the score within two minutes. First Jhon Cordoba hammered the ball into the net after a long pass from an offside position in the 60th minute. Seconds later Stefan Bell beat Lukas Hradecky with a header after a set play. 

Muto Turns the Game Around for M05

With three goals within 15 minutes the second half was a lot more exciting than the beginning of the match. Nonetheless, Eintracht would not have minded a little less excitement in the final 30 minutes. It became worse in the 76th minute. Yoshinori Muto connected a cross from Bojan with his head and left Hradecky no chance. While everything looked great for the Eagles at the outset, Mainz managed to turn the game around in the end of the game. On top of it all Ante Rebic was booked with a yellow card, which meant that the Croatian international is suspended for the season finale against RB Leipzig.

During stoppage time De Blasis converted a penalty. However, at this point the final score of 4-2 was only a sidenote. Nonetheless the Eagles have the chance to end the season on a positive note with a win against RB Leipzig at home on matchday 34.