Werbung Sky - erleben Sie Ihren Verein


WOB-SGE: Unlucky Defeat

In front of a crowd of 29,159 in Wolfsburg’s Volkswagen Arena, the Eagles were on the up for some time leading 1-0 at the break (Aigner, 11’). After their second goal was erroneously called offside, Wolfsburg came back with an Olic goal (69’) and a late match winner by Naldo (89’).

Get well soon, Stephan Schröck! Get well soon, Stephan Schröck!

In comparison to the previous match against Borussia Mönchengladbach, Eintracht manager Veh changed Frankfurt’s starting formation only slightly. He replaced Russ, who was unable to compete due to a suspension following his fifth yellow card, with Philippine international Schröck.


After a Perisic cross that Olic missed only by inches (2’), an Eintracht goal was disallowed. Lanig, who headed the ball in after a Djakpa cross which was flicked on by Joselu, had been standing slightly offside – a close, but correct decision (7’).

Nevertheless, the Eagles took the lead when Barnetta headed the ball to Aigner close to the halfway line, who had no trouble finishing past Wolfsburg’s keeper Grün (11’). After Aigner missed another good opportunity to score (18’), the hosts became stronger. However, even though they created several quite decent goalscoring opportunities, they failed to find the back of the net.


After the break, Schröck had to be substituted a few minutes after Naldo had stepped him on the foot (61’). Get well soon, mate! Then, backwards-moving Eintracht keeper Kevin Trapp collected a Wolfsburg cross. The hosts claimed that the ball had crossed the goal line after Trapp had caught it, but – as far as we can tell – the ball never left the pitch (64’). Only one minute later, referee Gagelmann and his linesmen were in the thick of things again. Joselu scored Eintracht’s second goal, only to be denied due to an alleged offside position when Lanig passed the ball to him. However, the TV pictures revealed that Joselu was onside the whole time. What a bother!

But things got even worse. After Olic levelled the tie after a De Bruyne cross (69’), Naldo fired a rocket that went crashing into the goal and into the Eintracht supporters’ hearts only one minute before the official match time ended. With only a few minutes of additional time remaining, Eintracht tried everything, but a header by Madlung was skilfully saved by Grün. Shortly after, Gagelmann blew the final whistle, leaving behind disappointed and angry Eagles. What a frustrating match!

JSä 29.03.2014

Eintracht Frankfurt © 2015