Werbung Sky - erleben Sie Ihren Verein


SGE-VFB: Last Minute Win!

SGE picked u a last minute win against VfB Stuttgart. After trailing at half time due to a Harnik goal (31') it was Rosenthal (80') and Meier (89') who turned the match around.

Match winner: Alex Meier Match winner: Alex Meier

Eintracht manager Armin Veh made one change to his starting line-up compared to Thursdays Europa League mach v Porto: Pirmin Schwegler was out with a match ban and Marco Russ returned to defensive midfield.


Eintracht had an early good chance when VfB keeper Ulreich did well to deny Barnetta who tried it with a header from close range after Jung had crossed in a good chance for SGE (6). The Eagles were a tad more active in the opening 15 minutes with more possession (61%) and decent passing, especially down the right flank where Jung, Aigner and Flum showed good attitude. Yet that final through ball or key pass did not quite find its way through the Stuttgart defensive lines. At the other end no attack of VfB resulted in a chance or even a shot in that period. Their first attempt came after 18 minutes when Werner had a go from long range which was easily saved by Kevin Trapp.

Then Stuttgart started to get hold of the match and came forward more often, creating a couple of further shots and a few corners, to no major effect though. And the Eagles did not hold back either, with a few neat attacks and solid defending. Joselu went down in the box after a good run but the referee decided against awarding a penalty, shortly after Meier was found in the box but his attempt went high and wide (31). With the following counter attack Stuttgart scored Harnik received the ball at the edge of the box and let go, his shot went into the low left corner of the goal (31).

And Stuttgart remained a threat especially as SGE tried to come forward for the equalizer. On the break VfB created another two good chances and Trapp did ever so well to deny them both. First he kept a flick-on from a Maxim free-kick out of the goal, then he saved a Cacau attempt from around 14 meters (34). As time went on the match calmed down to some extent with VfB looking to get the result into the half time break and the Eagles showing some signs of frustration. A Barnetta free-kick cross from the left did find none other than Stuttgart goalie Ulreich (42). And another attack down the left via Meier was crossed in by Oczipka, Joselus header was caught by Ulreich though (43). The 1-0 score line in favor of Stuttgart stood at half time.


After the break Rosenthal came on for Joselu. And Rosi won a corner right away whch was cleared for a second corner, Ulreich punched the ball out ust before Russ could get to it (48). At te other end Leitner had a go from long range but Trapp was at the end of it (51). Eintracht tried to build up their passing and it was a lively start to the second half, still it seemed difficult to get through the Stuttgart back four. And VfB did get space which led to another attempt by Sakai who curled the ball wide (53).

A decent build up via Russ and Jung had the latter crossing in, he found Aigner who headed towards the goal, Ulreich had a fine save for a corner (62). That was a very good chance for the Eagles to equalize. Armin Veh made another substitution, Djakpa came on for Oczipka (65). And SGE kept coming forward but remained unlucky with the last pass and also with some of the referees decisions. Another attack down the right flank had once again Jung crossing the ball in, Barnetta picked it up in the box but his curled effort went wide (70).


Then Barnetta came charging into the box and was brought down by Cacau the referee awarded a penalty but after some discussions with VfB players and his linesman took it back again and decided on free-kick for VfB (73). What a bizarre situation and ever so tough for the team, the fans were pretty unhappy too. At the other end Maxim was free on goal but managed to put the ball wide, some would call it an epic fail (79). The 43,200 then finally got their relief when Rosenthal kept his cool in a one on one situation and put the ball past Ulreich with a neat finish 1-1 (80)!!!

It was a tense and even encounter, no surprise given the importance of the match. And the Eagles kept coming forward looking to pick up all three points. And they were awarded late in the day. Flum skillfully dribbled into the box and set up who else Alex Meier who hit home 2-1 (90)! It was a deserved lead after all and for once the Eagles scored with only minutes to go deservedly SGE tok away all three points after a passionate performance in a very difficult match Well done, lads! Next up is the match away to Hamburger SV on Saturday the 8th of March (15.30 CET).

HR 02.03.2014

Eintracht Frankfurt 2015